San Antonio, TX 78210
6 BD | 4 BA |
King William, mixed-use (Commercial / Residential)option. Joseph Courand and his wife, Julia, moved to San Antonio in 1902 from Castroville where he had operated successful cotton gins and mercantile stores. In 1906, they purchased six lots at the corner of Adams and South Alamo Streets, and hired noted local architect, Leo M. J. Dielmann, to design their imposing new home. The house was completed in 1907, and Joseph Courand lived there until his death in 1946. Courand was a prominent business leader who promoted the extension of the Southern Pacific Railroad through South Texas and served on many community boards. When he died at age 87, Joseph Courand was the oldest living alumnus of St. Mary's University. Following his death, the Courand house was used until 1963 by the Oblate Fathers and Mary Immaculate League, a Catholic social welfare organization. A subsequent owner used it for the Mission Salvation, and it was then purchased and renovated as a restaurant and event center. The present owners bought the house in 1988 and renovated it as their law office and residence. The author, Paulette Jiles, who wrote "News of The World," worked from the home.
6 BD | 4 BA | 7,714 SqFt
© 2021 Lone Star Real Estate. All rights reserved. The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program of Lone Star Real Estate. Information provided is for viewer's personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties the viewer may be interested in purchasing. Information provided is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Listing Courtesy of Joe Burrage with Keller Williams Heritage.